Here are some great blogs either to help you study and succeed in lab and lecture or to help you out with a fun study break! I’ll try to post some of the more pertinent posts for each topic, but please go exploring! If you find something interesting, please share!
- LabPhotos ~ Taken by an organic chemist, these photos bring out the colorful and not-so-colorful successes and failures that you could see in ochem lab.
- Labsolutely ~ This blog also brings out the fun in chemistry. Check out the Columns playing the theme to Mario Brothers!
- C&EN Onion ~ Ever heard of the Onion, a wonderful satirical online newspaper? This brings it to the next level in chemistry!
- Open Flask ~ Bringing it to a serious side for a bit, this is a blog straight from Dr. Baran’s lab at Scripps Institute. A really huge force in his field of synthesizing natural products.
- Ph.D Comics ~ Even if you aren’t grad students (yet 😉 ), these cleverly drawn comics are so relatable. Feeling really burnt out? Try the Ph.D Movie!
- The Collapsed Wavefunction ~ Among some other cool stuff, this blog focuses on podcasts talking about some cool applications for the chemistry, interviews with famous (or at least semi-famous) people, and explaining common things we see from the chemical perspective!
- Science Notes and Projects ~ Ever wondered what happened today in science? This blog gives snippets of biographies of famous scientists on their birthday, not to mention some cool projects to try!
- Mastering Organic Chemistry ~ This one should probably have gone first. It is an invaluable guide on all things organic chemistry. Not all topics have been covered yet, but there’s still a lot to choose from!
- The Lab Safety and Survival Guide (on Facebook) ~ For a plethora of the silly and serious of how to stay safe in the lab.